T20 World Cup: Just being a legend doesn’t help, Richards’ team in 1987… Lara warns Team India

New Delhi. West Indies legend Brian Lara believes India head coach Rahul Dravid will need a special plan to get the best out of Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma in next month’s T20 World Cup. The T20 World Cup is to be hosted in West Indies and America. Brian Lara said, ‘When you have a team with so many experienced players, you forget the plan. You trust that these veterans can do their job well. As a coach, sometimes you might hesitate to tell Sir Vivian Richards or Virat Kohli what you expect from them.

When asked about the composition of the Indian team, Lara gave the example of a very experienced West Indies team led by Richards that failed to reach the semi-finals of the 1987 World Cup. He said, ‘Many teams have faced dilemmas in the past regarding the selection of players in the squad. A good example is the West Indies team of 1988 (1987). He said, ‘Obviously when you have great players like that you want to keep that experience because you think they can do it and there’s nothing wrong with that.’

Rohit was waiting for this news before T20 World Cup, now he will go to West Indies with full enthusiasm.

Brian Lara said that Dravid will have to be fully prepared on the planning front with the experienced players in the Indian team. He said, ‘You have a lot of talented young players coming up and you have this dilemma. India have gone with a team that has experience. My advice and this is not my criticism, my advice is that Rahul Dravid makes sure that he is ready on the planning front.

Lara also agreed that Rinku Singh missed out on a place in the team due to bad luck. However, Lara expressed hope that the Rohit Sharma-led team can go further in this World Cup. He said, ‘This team is capable of winning the World Cup. Yes, this is a team that is missing some young players for perhaps inevitable reasons. I still believe India can win the World Cup if they plan properly. (input language)

Tags: Brian Lara, Rahul Dravid, T20 World Cup

Leave a Comment