Mitchell Starc on retirement: Australia left-arm fast bowler Mitchell Starc on Monday made it clear that he has no plans to play the next World Cup but will not retire from ODI cricket just yet. Starc will turn 37 by the next World Cup in South Africa. He has been a member of the Australian team that won the ODI World Cup in 2015 and the T20 World Cup in 2021. However, in the current World Cup, he has managed to take only 10 wickets at an average of 43.90 so far. “I will continue to play after this World Cup but I have no doubt that I will not play the next World Cup,” Starc told reporters at the team hotel. I have no vision for this. Four years is a long time.
The Australian team will play a limited number of ODI matches next year. After the series against the West Indies in February, the team will not play any ODIs before the tour of England in September. Starc said Test cricket will be his priority.
He said, “I have always said that Test cricket is at the top for me among the three formats and I will quit other formats before quitting Test cricket. (World Cup semi-final) for me is like any other ODI for Australia, this is not the end of the journey in ODI cricket for me.” Blaming a ‘flat wicket’ for his expected performance in the ongoing World Cup. Huey Starc said, “I’m definitely at that level. Wasn’t where I would have liked to be.”
The last two haven’t been at the same level as the World Cups but now is a chance to finally make an impact in the tournament. Starc, who has been nursing a minor injury since the Ashes, was rested from the team’s last league match against Bangladesh and was seen training with his teammates in an optional practice session on Monday ahead of Thursday’s semi-final. Starc said he will be fit to play in the semi-final against South Africa in Kolkata.
He said, “If I had played only when I was 100 per cent fit, I might have played only 10 matches. Bowlers all over the world struggle with some problem, we don’t talk about it like batsmen.